Family photos

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Our fun weekend

Well, Dave left for his bow-hunting excursion on Thursday after work, so this was our first weekend with him gone. My sister Christine was sweet enough to come spend it w/ us. We had a really great time -- especially the kids. They LOVE their Auntie Chris!
Saturday we went to the Farmer's Market down at Pioneer Park in Salt Lake. I hadn't been there before, but it's such a great place! There is such a variety -- in the booths, the food, the people etc. We stocked up on some DELICIOUS items that we cooked with on Saturday night. And -- on top of all the produce being absolutely in season, it's very reasonable. We got a variety of heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil, an artisan loaf of molasses brown bread, fresh peaches some baby carrots & dill (which we forgot to use in our cooking - rats!!), and my bargain of the day -- two eggplants for 75cents each. BARGAIN!
RIght when we got there we came across the balloon granny (her name) -- she made the kids some fun balloon hats & sword for Derek.


After finding all our fresh produce - we hit up the park there, and ate some tasty gelato while the kids ran amuck :)
Jenna was a real trooper -- she just got carried along while we were there, and slept through most of it (even me spilling my snacks on her head -- OOPS!)
Saturday evening Derek & Auntie had a VERY fun time with his new octopus play-dough set that she got him for his birthday. Here is their creation... it's Derek in a boat, on the ocean with all the ocean-life surrounding him. It was hillarious -- Derek was cracking up about having the play-dough man being named Derek.

Here are the first stages of the pizza we made -- I should have gotten the final shot, but we made a delicious crust, topped with ricotta cheese, tomatoes - freshly sliced basil, ground sea salt, italian seasoning, mozzerella, romano & parmesean. It was SO good. Christine (my sis) is such an inspired cook -- she brought my dream to fruition! Thanks Chris!

Anyway - we had a really great time, and it was so great having her help out with the kids. Now -- I only have to brave another 8 days before Dave gets back... I'm hoping he "catches" (as I like to say) - his Elk soon & comes home early. We'll see though :) In the meantime, I'll be doing some serious organizing this week to kill time. :)


3 comments:

Brooke Hargett said...

Laura! We are just in Lehi now. We came back up at the beginning of the year to be able to see the girls more. So we are in Sl all the time. We should get together!
I love the the play-dough creation!! Farmers markets are the best!!

Mel said...

Wow you guys really cook gourmet. How do I get in on it? I had so much fun at Derek's party. Dave will be home before you know it!!

Sharonda and Zaron said...

Wow, fun times!! I love spending time with my sister. The pizza looks delicious.

Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones