Family photos

Monday, March 23, 2009

Where preparation & perserverance finally meet their pay-off

I still remember feeling SO pumped up early last fall when my friend Amber was telling me how great it would be for us to do a half-marathon in Moab. A great way to lose the baby weight for both of us who had just had our babies. We had a few additions from my family who were interested in running too -- my sister Melanie and my niece Britt (who after an injury switched to the 5 mile run along w/ my BIL Bill). Well -- that began our training. Before the end of December I had run about 5 miles at a time -- more than I'd ever done! Since 2009 began, I've devoted two days a week & every Saturday to running. Some runs were better than others, but I did them all. All of this in preparation for race-day, March 21, 2009.
COMPLETION!!! Although it was SOOO HOT, and I was dying, I finished. Not the time I'd dreamed of, but 2 hours & 14 minutes from the start. Amber did so great too -- she found her pace early & split from me & my sister Melanie. Melanie was my big supporter on race day. By mile 10 I was starting to cramp up, but she wouldn't let me walk (had to keep me from locking up). Tough love. It was SO cool to see literally a sea of runners bobbing up and down in front of you as far as the eye could see. I don't know if I'm ready for another half-marathon any time too soon, but I am SO excited that I accomplished what I set out to do.
Here's Melanie & I (Mel in Red shirt & hat)

The whole fam came down to Moab for the big event -- Dave, all the kids, our nephew Dawson & Dave's parents Jim & Linda. We took a tent trailer down & camped out at a great little RV place just out of town. It was SO fun! We loved the place we were at, it had life sized chess & checkers, a pool & hot-tub and horse-shoes. The kids had an absolute blast being able to roam free in the park. Saturday after the race, Jon, Amber, Cambrie & Ethan all came over for a celebratory BBQ. They made the yummiest cobbler (peach & raspberry) for dessert that we continued to enjoy for breakfast the next morning! Cambrie, Derek, Dawson & Hailey got in some good swim time (the little ones, mostly in the hot-tub). The babies were content to just hang-out and play. We were having such a nice time visiting & relaxing that they ended up staying for dinner -- tin-foil dinners (or fire-packets as I've always known them). Yummy!
All in all, it was a really great getaway to be with family & friends, and to finish the race. Hooray!!
Linda was the best helper w/ Jenna (isn't that a Grandma's job??) :)
Amber & Ethan enjoying a nice lounge in the super recliners
Nothing like a spicy diet-coke to rejuvenate you after a nice 13.1 mile run
Dave & Jenna (part of my cheering section at the finish)
The babies!!
Doesn't life-sized Chess look like fun?!
Derek loved playing chess -- he'd actually hop over the pieces as he was taking them. So cute!
Early Sunday morning -- it was beautiful, but a little chilly!
These lounger chairs were the best I've ever sat in -- they were SO comfy!

4 comments:

jewels said...

Way to go Laura. How awesome to be able to say you ran 13.1 miles.

Tracie said...

You are truely amazing! What a great experience that was for all of you! I may never run 13+ miles, but you are a great example of starting and finishing a goal, and the pain endured to do it! Thanks for the pics and story!

Amber said...

It was such a fun weekend!! Thanks for being my training partner.
We had a great time cooking and hanging out with you guys on Saturday!

Jennie said...

WOW! That is amazing and such a great accomplishment! I could never run that far. I have done the 5K before in SL - and that about killed me, that was a good accomplishment for me. :) Anyway, great trip, great pics (there is a large chess game off of Main Street in Park City too) - those are fun! Good for you! If I was at the end of the finish line (cheering for you of course, not running), I'd be doing a happy dance for ya' :)

Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones